Thursday, October 30, 2008

Home NAS solution. with out breaking the bank...

I have been planning to add a network storage solution to my home network, and finally I have decided on a reasonable solution.  I picked this NSLU2 Network Storage link from linksys, and 2 USB 2.0 500GB disks.  The drawbacks are that the network speed on this storage link is 10/100.  And the mirroring is done by the device backing up from one disk to thet other.  But the reason I like this solution is because it's reasonable in terms of price.  And because I already have a 500GB external USB drive, but I needed to get that backed up as well.  And having 4 computers at home, it just makes sense to have a central file repository.  Why duplicate and transfer files via usb memory and CD's or DVD's.  Certain data needs to be backup to DVD's just for the sake of safety.  But having 3 copies of my music on 3 computers, well that's not the best way to use storage on computers.  Once I actually get all the equipment and set it up I will gather some data, and post it here.  Some people say why not use a linux system as a file server etc..  Well a desktop uses more power than this little device with the 2 HD's.  Takes up less space, and less maintenance.  Plus as an added bonus I will have an external FTP access to files, so I can drop things for my self, or retreive things with out the need for pendrive or CD or anything.  Stay tuned for the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment