Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Linux on Dell Inspiron 1318.

About a month ago, I finally got myself a Dell laptop. it's the Inspiron 1318. I wanted to get an Apple macbook, but realized the reason I loved my PowerBook G4 was the fact that it wasn't running windows. I know, that's a lame excuse. But honestly this Inspiron is a perfect match for my needs, I don't like bulky 15.4" laptops. I was a little tired of the tiny 12.1" I had, my work laptop is a 14.4" which is perfect, but I couldn't find a good 14.4" laptop. So I came across the Dell Inspiron.1318. It costs just $1000 less than a macbook, which is a little faster etc. but couldn't justify paying that much more. First thing after booting into windows Vista and getting all the HW info, was to install Open SuSe 11.0 Linux OS. So the drive is 250 GB, I left like 60GB for Vista, just in case, my dSLR requires it's windows software to updates it's bios :-( maybe one day they will make it platform independent. This is my journey with the Dell Inspiron and Linux.. My First OS insalltion went smooth. I ran into three major problems. 1. WiFi card not working 2. Sound not loud, but working 3. HD parking/unparking it self rather too often.. Read after it, and here you can read some more.. Other than those issues all working like a charm. Until today, I did not have the time, to work on things to make my laptop work smoothly, I will keep updating with latest information.

No comments:

Post a Comment