Saturday, October 25, 2008

Software repositories, be careful

Well, the other day I ran an update on my opensuse 11.0 systems.  It started acting funny, so I said what the heck, thinking like a windows user, I decided to restarted.  So I did, and to my suprise, the login screen won't show up.  I tried again, entered into command line, checked my x-server settings, etc..  No luck.  So using my destop, I got into the IRC chat and screamed for help.  Folks were very helpful, and we were able to track down my problem.  It was that gtk2, and glib2 were out of sync, and instead of using a stable version, I got an unstable version installed.  Now it could easily be said that it's my fault, I should check the list of updates more carefully, but isn't that what the package manager is for?  I mean I don't keep in my mind that I have version 2.3-23 or 2.2-19 or what ever.  So I had to re-install my OS, which was ok, since I keep my /home on a different partition.  It was just time consuming, and annoying.  But a valuable lesson was learned, pick your repositories carefully.  Do you really need the most cutting edge code?  Do you need xyz's repository because it says it's up to date?  What I learned is that keeping a system up to date doesn't require 10 repositories, the updates, a few extras will do. So regardless of what linux OS flavor you use, Ubuntu, OpenSuSe, Fedoracore, just pick and choose your repositories carefully, and keep them down to a handfull.

No comments:

Post a Comment