Sunday, January 22, 2012

Cheap linux box

  My trusty laptop batteries started to deteriorate.  I also realized that editing pictures over the network via the NFS isn't that effective.  The problem was that I didn't tag my pictures properly, since I didn't think I would ever want, or need to create picture collections of say family, or travel etc...
  I decided to build a box, for under $250 I got a pretty good deal.  I already had the monitor, since I used the laptop with dual monitors, and I had 2 Hard drives as well.  Final build :


  • MSI s775 G41M-P28
  • Intel E6600 3.06Ghz
  • 8 GB DDR3 Memory
  • 2x 500GB SATA drives using Software raid 1
  • Intel GMA x4500 built in graphics
  • 22" LG 1680x1050
  • TP-Link Gigabit Router 
  • OS Ubuntu 12.04

  I hope it turns out to be good, I still need to think of a backup strategy.  Having a NAS which has a media server, I don't think I need to store the music and video files on my local HDD...

No comments:

Post a Comment