Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Home IT department

I finally got around and uploaded all my files from my external drive to the network drive. Did not do test the upload speeds, but will do some tests in the near future, I will post those as well.

Simple diagram of my home setup
This is the setup of my little home IT department.

Actual equipment

Before purchasing this little Linksys unit, which is a USB Network storage link. I read many reviews. Most of them mentioned speed as being a problem. My network as you can see is wired 10/100 and wireless G 54Mbps, so it actually fits in nicely. And I don't need to upgrade my router, or any of my NIC cards in my computers. Wirelessly, it doesn't make a difference how fast it can server up the files, from my tests, I can listen to music from the NAS. Now the real test will be listening to music, and from another computer watching a video. I did a brief test between the laptop, and my desktop. Over the wireless network, these are the results:
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth[ 3] 0.0-10.0 sec 25.6 MBytes 21.5 Mbits/sec[ 3] 0.0-10.0 sec 26.1 MBytes 21.9 Mbits/sec[ 3] 0.0-100.0 sec 253 MBytes 21.2 Mbits/sec[ 3] 0.0-2027.8 sec 5.16 GBytes 21.9 Mbits/sec
Will be doing more test, and and indepth info will be posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment