Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Working with todays tools

What ever you want to call it, the Internet of Things, or Cloud computing.  Todays tools/apps are amazing.  I just found a new useful app/tool/extension, or what ever. It interconnects your digital world. It's called  Pushbullet, which is an extension, and a phone app, as well as a local app on your Operating System. Why is this app useful? Well, it pushes your phone notifications, and SMS to an extension on your browser or computer. I wrote earlier that I started using Chromebook full time at home, "The Chromebook Experiment", and "5 Months using a Chromebook" . This fits in nicely. When I receive an SMS or a WhatsApp message it get's pushed to my Chrome Extension notification on the chromebook.  It also notifies me on my work computers local OSX Application (there is a windows version as well, and a community made Ubuntu version) I use whatsapp to communicate with my family, since we have a wifi Internet connection at home, and at work, and I usually have my phone set on vibrate or silent (I do miss some messages). I like the fact that I can receive notifications on my browser, or OS, let that be work, or home. It also has a nice way of sending url's, notes, files, or images to your devices, so all your interconnected web of phone, tablet, laptop, desktop can receive a broadcast of what ever you want. File-sharing is another story, this app isn't really for that. Anyhow, check it out, let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment